Tuesday, July 12, 2005

I Stopped begging For Votes - ouch




Greetings from Florida. I stopped begging for votes on Podcast Alley. Guess what - i have like no votes for this month yet my downloads keep growing. Gotta say I enjoy not beggin in the podcast and in the occasional email to loyals. Yet my ego hates to see my standing so low - I was top 25 in Music genre for over 3 months (that is a decade in PodCast Years). At first it was the practical aspect of "Get up there in the ratings and more people will wander by and sample, if they like it they will stick around" Well, maybe when I can actually get listied in iTunes directory all this wont matter anyway - I gotta believe that is the wave of the future (present?) due to the gazillions of users. Anyway - if you like DSR, please spread the word. Tell a friend or co-worker, burn a CD for the aging aunt, whatever . . . Damn, there goes that begging again. Maybe this has to do with a poor self-image needing constant reinforcement form the world? Was this child mistreated in some way? Dropped on head?

2 Comments:

Blogger donna said...

poor self-image? nah, i don't think so. *begins to gently stroke Guy's delicate ego* ;)
~imho, it has more to do with wanting/needing reinforcement (preferrably positive reinforcement) that folks 'out there' appreciate the creative efforts you put into your podcasts as much as you enjoy creating them.
~it's my opinion that listeners don't place the same value on the Podcast Alley voting thing as do the podcasters themselves. this is probably the reason that listeners need to be reminded by podcasters to go vote.
~i also think that the voting on Podcast Alley isn't a good and reliable indicator of what listeners really think are the "best" podcasts. the voting thing is more about marketing yourself/your podcast and a great marketing campaign is not at all the same thing as producing a great podcast.
~so, may i suggest that if your downloads are increasing you might take that as an indicator of your growing success rather than Podcast Alley ratings.

~having said all this, please know that i cast my July vote for DSR on Podcast Alley.... BEFORE you posted this cry for positive reinforcement. :) :) (i also link to DSR on my websites and i tell my friends about DSR)

10:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Guy. I keep voting for you every month on PA, but good on you for not begging for 'em. I ought to try to curb my own whining/begging and so on.

I do agree with Donna: I wonder, in the big scheme of things, how much of a difference it makes, except for our egos.

I am, however, very bummed that you're not in iTunes yet. You are one of three subscriptions for which I have to run iPodder Lemon to get them. Have you asked anybody at LibSyn about this? I can't imagine why Apple would not have picked you up yet, but still, when I search for "dreadful snake" in iTunes I get nothing.

Not to invoke Podcast Alley needlessly, but allegedly they also will provide an iTunes-capable feed. Maybe that's a route?

Pass auf! Eine Schlange! (Watch out for that German snake!)

8:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home